Óscar Cárdenas Acuña. Cádiz (Spain), 1979.
Cadiz Bay Port Authority photographer.
Phone: +34 697 677 903
«In the projects I do, my interest in human beings and their ways of facing life is evident. I try to live with them to get to know their stories, which also enriches me.
My choice for black and white is because, besides being the characteristic style of classic documentary photography, it is ideal for this type of work and makes it timeless.
In the faces, which are the visible part of their lives, the textures of the skin are better marked and it offers a certain drama. In addition to the luminosity that white offers, I love how mysterious black can be.
I tend to take photographs in places where people feel comfortable, locating points of light that I can use in the scene.
In the case of the project «Sons of Poseidon» I had to embark on several occasions to see the hard work of purse seine fishing at dawn. My intention is to show the drama they live, the social reality of these fishermen who are fewer and fewer and who have «the sea» as a symbol of their existence.»
- RIVADAVIA magazine nº44, winter of 2010. Exhibition interview “A Different Look”.
- Diario de Cádiz, July 20, 2013, page 60. Interview about the short documentary “Village´s people I: El Gastor”.
- Caleta. Publisher: Del Centro Editores. Madrid 2014. ISBN: 978-84-942696-7-7. Photographs of the Colectivo Diafragma together with a selection of texts by Fernando Quiñones (writer and poet).
- Caleta, mundos y miradas. Publisher : Del Centro Editores. Madrid 2014. ISBN: 978-84-942696-8- 4. Postcards of the Diaphragm Collective and introduction of Nieves Vázquez Recio.
- Reporting publication “That great universe called Imagination” in LENS CULTURE, prestigious online contemporary photography magazine. Year 2015.
- Publication of photography in nº11 of the digital magazine Cromomagazine, from ESCUELA DE COLOR. June 2015.
- Online gallery «Arte en la red» in CASA DE AMÉRICA. Selection of photographs «Village´s people». July 2015. Selected for collective exhibition in Madrid.
- Publication of article “Village´s people” in the newspaper GENTE DE LA SIERRA nº 24, October 2015, page 29.
- Salt faces. Book with 90 portraits of workers of the Port of Cadiz Bay in their different tasks. Publication of the Port of Cadiz Bay. Legal deposit: CA 284-2016.
- «Sons of Poseidón» craft book limited edition. 2018.
- Diario de Cádiz, March 20, 2018, page 26. Interview about the exhibition at the APONIENTE Restaurant of the work “Sons of Poseidon”.
- Interview for the METROPOLIS program of the Franco-German channel ARTE about the work “Sons of Poseidon”. February 2019.
- Project «Identities». Diptychs about the workers of the Port of Cádiz. Year 2020-2021.
- Virtual exhibition of «Sons of Poseidon» at the Fundación Provincial de Cultura. Year 2021.
- Publication of «Sons of Poseidon» in the Spanish literature, art and culture magazine ÍMPETU. August 2021.